SUBMITTED BY: Leisa Greathouse
Needham Brown was one of twelve siblings. All six sons enlisted in the Confederacy. He enlisted in Wayne County, NC in 1863. He epitomized an average North Carolinian. He was in Company D and Company L, 66th Regiment. He survived the war.
He came from a farming household and returned to a farming community after the war.
- He served in Company D, 8th Battalion NC, and Company L, 66th Regiment NC.
- His brothers were Austin, Brardin, Thomas, William, and Jesse.
- Jesse enlisted and was captured, eventually discharged for disabilities. Jesse was in artillery along with some other brothers.
- Austin died during the war of disease.
- Thomas and William both died in Newtown of disease.